Inspired by nature. Influenced by minimalism.
About The Work
Inspired by landscapes and influenced by minimalism, I enjoy bringing the outdoors in through painting, in a beautiful, simple and unexpected way. My works on paper are an abstract interpretation of moments and sights from my time spent in nature exploring lakes, mountains, forests and coastlines through hiking and camping. I love living in the city of Chicago, but I often crave adventures in wide open lands that renew my spirit and make me feel at peace. I use these adventures as the inspiration for my work to provide others with a momentary escape from their everyday. Using watercolors, ink, acrylic, and graphite, I think of a positive memory or a landscape I loved and then translate what I saw and felt into paint using contrasting marks and textures. The shapes, colors, and perspective that I recall or imagine inform and guide each painting.
About Kim Knoll
Kim's style is heavily influenced by graphic design, which has been her focus throughout her schooling and career. It wasn’t until 2016 when she picked up a paintbrush for the first time, but only to experiment with watercolors for a new branding project. She fell in love with the medium and began exploring it as a personal project. Sharing her paintings on social media allowed her to get noticed by collectors, interior designers and art consultants, which has inspired, propelled and enabled her to pursue painting. Today, she partners with art consulting firms and interior design studios to produce commissioned paintings and prints for homes, hotels, resorts, retail stores, cruise lines, products and more. Her most notable work can be found in The Ritz-Carlton Hotels and Yacht Collection, Four Seasons Hotels, Waldorf Astoria Hotels, The Bellagio Hotel, 7 For All Mankind (Milan and Berlin), Celebrity Edge Cruise Ship, Norwegian Prima and Sky Cruise Ships, and The Spells Deck produced by Chronicle Books.
2003, BFA in Visual Communications, Northern Illinois University
2021, Norwegian Cruise Line, Prima Cruise Ship
2021, Bank of America Tower, 110 N Wacker
2020, The Ritz-Carlton, Yacht Collection
2019, 7 For All Mankind, Milan Flagship Store
2018, Chronicle Books, The Spells Deck
• The Ritz-Carlton Evrima Yacht
• The Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes, FL
• The Ritz Carlton Residencies at Chevy Chase, MD
• Four Seasons Jackson Hole, WY
• Four Seasons Vail, CO
• Bellagio Hotel Las Vegas, NV
• Virgin Hotel Las Vegas, NV
• Waldorf Astoria—The Avenues, Kuwait
• One Palm, Dubai
• Bank of America Tower, Chicago
• Norwegian Prima Cruise Ship
• Norwegian Sky Cruise Ship
• Celebrity Edge Cruise Ship
• Hotel Martinez, Cannes, France
• Artyzen Lingang Hotel Shanghai, China
• 7 for all Mankind Milan Flagship Store, Italy
• 7 for all Mankind Berlin Store, Germany
• Sonesta Chicago Riverfront Hotel
• Baptiste Hospital Miami, FL
• Capitol Tower, Singapore
• Chateau Elan Winery + Resort, GA
• Marriott’s Grand Chateau Las Vegas, NV
• Addison Reserve Country Club, FL
• Sino-Ocean Hangzhou Kempinkski Hotel, China
• Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, OR
• The Westin, London City
• Westin Kierland Scottsdale, AZ
• JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa Phoenix, AZ
• Pendry Residences Park City, UT
• Whitley Hotel Suites Atlanta, GA
• AC Hotel Brentwood, TN
• AC Hotel Fort Worth, TX
• Hyatt Regency Stonebriar, TX
• Hyatt Regency Deerfield, IL
• Marriott Schaumburg, IL
Select Art Consultants
• Capsule Arts
• DAC Art Consulting
• Eaton Fine Art
• Kevin Barry Fine Art
• On The Wall Framing
• Onderneming & Kunst
• Soho Myriad Art Consulting
• UAP Company
• Union Art + Design
Where did you grow up and where are you now?
What originally drew you to making paintings?
Can you describe your creative process?
What is the best advice you could give a novice artist?
What is your go-to for inspiration?
Why do you work on paper and not canvas?
Follow me on Instagram @kimknoll
I’ve used Kim’s art for a number of projects over the years and can’t say enough about working with her. She consistently adds new work, she is always quick to reply, and her artwork is ALWAYS stunning!
— Lindsey King, Art Consultant, DAC Art Consulting